Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 20, 2014

back again:) the new Janome

Long time, no write.  And what a busy several months it has been with moving into a new home, getting engaged, and then my machine crashing.  But looks like things are starting to finally chill out.  Thank you!  I am ready for a relaxing summer.

My original sewing machine died when the timing device stopped working correctly.  I went to a local shop to have it repaired, but found out it was going to cost $100 to repair a machine that, frankly, has seen better days.  So I took the plunge and purchased a new fancy sewing machine.  I ended up with a Janome Horizon from a great little sewing store around the corner.  I have to say, I feel like I got the cadillac of all machines with this bad boy.  And after sewing on the machine for a week, I have to say I am quickly getting spoiled.


 After purchasing my awesome new little machine, I have managed to finish another one of my favorite rag quilts.  I used smaller squares of regular cotton the front and flannel on the back. I did this quilt for a friend of mine who had a little one last year.  I tried to gear it towards a boy and the parents love for Virginia Tech





  I will admit the squares did not get sewed together evenly. I was quite perplexed why nothing was lining up consistently.  Then it dawned on me.  The straight stitch option I used on my new machine was to offset slightly to the left of center.  DOH.



It was a great learning experience, and I still think the rag quilt is cute.
















The second quilt I started and finished on my new machine. I cannot believe how quickly it came together on this new machine! Granted this is a smaller quilt (again a baby/toddler quilt size), but I have never finished a quilt with such ease!  I chose to go with HST as a chevron pattern.  And look how cute it is!


















I also learned how to free motion quilt with this quilt; and I have to say, I am in love with FMQ.  It is like a giant maze in which you try not to overlap any lines.



I am very pleased with how this one turned out. I cannot wait to finish another quilt I have started.

No comments:

Post a Comment